The Book Thief - Markus Zusak quotes I like & don't want to forget

“THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN A BOY WHO HATES YOU A boy who loves you.”

“She was a girl with a mountain to climb”

“Not leaving: an act of trust and love, often deciphered by children”

“...the stars were dragged down again, into the waters of the German sky.”

“Smoke was rising out of Liesel's collar. A necklace of sweat had formed around her throat. Beneath her shirt, a book was eating her up.”

“We might be criminals, but we're not totally immoral. Much like the book thief, he at least drew the line somewhere.”

thoughts

I don't know why I thought that I would not like that book and why I have avoided it for such a long time.

In general, I do not read books about the Holocaust/WWII because they are really depressing (in a lack of a better wording). I do not like to read cruel books either. Most of the books about the Holocaust/WWII I read left me crying, disturbed about the people, the past, the history, the war, just everything. It's hard to put these feelings I have when I think of it in words.

I like the writing style of [a:Markus Zusak|11466|Markus Zusak|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1376268260p2/11466.jpg] and I feel a certain pull so that it's hard to put the book down.

The burning of books reminds me a lot of
[b:Fahrenheit 451|17470674|Fahrenheit 451|Ray Bradbury|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1366411587s/17470674.jpg|1272463].

The standover man p232 ff.

All my life, I've been scared of men standing over me.

I suppose my first standover man was my father, but he vanished before I could remember him.

For some reason when I was a boy I liked to fight. A lot of the time, I lost. Another boy, sometimes with blood falling from his nose, would be standing over me.

Many years later, I needed to hide. I tried not to sleep because I was afraid of who might be there when I woke up. But I was lucky. It was always my friend.

When I was hiding, I dreamed of a certain man. The hardest was when I travelled to find him.

Out of sheer luck and many footsteps, I made it.

I slept there for a long time. Three days, the told me... and what did I find when I woke up? Not a man, but someone else, standing over me.

As time passed by, the girl and I realised we had things in common.

But there is one strange thing. The girl says I look like something else.

Now I live in a basement. Bad dreams still live in my sleep. One night, after my usual nightmare, a shadow stood above me. She said, "Tell me what you dream of." So I did.

In return, she explained what her own dreams were made of.

Now I think we are friends, this girl and me. On her birthday, it was she who gave a gift - to me. It makes me understand that the best standover man I've ever known is not a man at all.